One of the tastiest and most budget-friendly meals that I make for my family is chicken legs. They are juicy when roasted in the oven and made even more delicious when topped with a sauce. And if you marinate them in the morning when you are making breakfast then pop them into the oven for 45 minutes while wrapping up homework, you can finish them on the grill while the rice bubbles in your rice cooker and have an awesome mid-week meal ready to feed your family for less than $15 (and that’s for a family of 8!). So here’s my recipe for Asian BBQ Chicken Legs!
- 1 family-sized package of chicken legs (10-12 legs)
- 2/3 cup of soy sauce
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- In a medium sized bowl mix together all of the ingredients (except for the chicken legs) until well blended to form the marinade. Place drumsticks in a ziptop bag and pour the marinade over the legs. Place in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and place chicken on a rimmed baking sheet lined with non-stick foil. Bake for 45 minutes so that the chicken is cooked through. Meanwhile, "sterilize" your marinade by pouring it into a saucepan and bringing to a boil on the stovetop for 3 minutes.
- Preheat your BBQ grill, and finish the chicken legs on the grill, brushing the marinade on top for 10-15 minutes.
Place drumsticks in a ziptop bag and pour the marinade over the legs. Chill for at least 4 hours.
Bake the chicken legs in the oven for 45 minutes. This allows the meat to cook thoroughly without becoming dried out on a grill.
Finish the chicken legs on the grill, brushing them with the marinade to give them that oh-so-yummy BBQ flavor!
Serve with some fluffy white rice and a side of veggies! A perfectly easy weeknight meal!